POLISH ONION SOUP

Yup I've called this Polish Onion Soup because there is NO WINE and I kept the spices to a minimum

I cooked the onions & broth in the triple crock-pot over night, then put them both together in the afternoon … the onions were PERFECT.\

It was so good my youngest son had 3 bowls of it, and he doesn't like onions very much (if they are "hidden" he doesn't seem to mind them too much) …

RECIPE

4# yellow onions,sliced 3/8 - 5/8 inch wide
1T butter
2spoons Garlic, finely minced (I use heaping spoonfuls)
1/2T Canning/Kosher salt *
2tsp Pepper, ground
1tsp Thyme, dried
4spoons  Beef Base, heaping
2tsp soy sauce
4 quarts water (or 1 gallon)

in crock #1:
place onions & butter in, cook on low for 3 hours. Then add in Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and the Thyme

in crocks #2 & 3:
split the rest between the two crocks …
I do NOT cook the onions & broth together yet ..;. that will come later.
let cook on low over night

Now I do not have a crock at the RESORT which can hold a gallon of broth so I put the soup in a regular pot on the stove top at this point.  If I were at home, I would have used my large 6qt crockpot.

Heat together for 1/2 hour and taste - add more salt/pepper to taster

Served with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

My father-in-law loved this soup!  He is 89 years old and getting him to eat can be a bit of a struggle - not sure if its just a lack of appetite or if he just craves a good struggle/argument (on my gosh - the stories I could tell of him 25 yrs ago) ... it was harder to get him to eat the grilled cheese.

LEFTOVERS:
Yes this is a LOT of soup … that is because I have hit canning mode for the RESORT … my father-in-law and youngest son stay here all year round (my son is my FIL caregiver).

Leftovers filled 6 pint jars, with about 1/8-1/4 cup of onion in each.
pints = 60 minutes
quarts = 75 minutes
PRESSURE CAN ONLY!!!!!! Do NOT Water Bath Can this - it is too low acid.
Less than 1,000 ft. can at 10#
Over 1,000 ft can at 15#
check your canners OWNERS MANUAL to be sure (I only use WEIGHTED canners, I do not know anything about gauge only canners)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment