TURKEY SALE: TARGET STORES

My youngest decided to buy my "Christmas present" early this year ... that is, she gave me the bird!

Well to be more specific, she let me know that Target stores - where she works - now has Turkeys ON SALE for 49¢/# ... if you were born after 1990, that is 49 CENTS PER POUND!!!

That's a phenomenal deal ... and these are not small birds either

My daughters store didn't have any thing less than 17 pounds

Now I cannot guarantee that this size is everywhere ... nor does it seem every where will have the same prices -- but it's a heads up that the Birds have return!!

I am planning on canning this meat & making home canned broth ... although my daughter says I need to save it for Thanksgiving.  We will see

Now - I just happened to find this video on YouTube today

A few things I'd like to say -- today we keep our refridgerators so much colder ... they should be set somewhere between 33°F - 40°F any higher than that and bacteria will begin to run rampant, any lower and everything freezes.

This means your bird can take OVER a week to completely thaw ... and chances are the bird you will buy will be frozen solid - flash frozen at 0°F or lower!!!  I have had a 20 pound bird take 10 days to thaw.  When I say "thaw" I mean that there is no longer any ice in the chest cavity.

Also the video also shows stuffing the bird before cooking -- we now know this is a No-No!!! 
The internal temperature needed to be safe to eat the meat is much lower than the temperature needed to make sure the stuffing in the bird is safe to consume .... so your bird will be dry as jute while any bacteria in the stuffing is cooked out.

BUT - the recipes from the 1950s which use the left-overs are still easily made & used every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment