Chili & Corn Bread

Okay, so from Sunday nights dinner I had several hotdogs left over as well as whole kernel corn (fron our farm, 2011) .... I also had half an onion & 3/4 of a bell pepper.

Hmmmm .... What to do .... My daughter had a dentist appointment so she was going to be numb on one side ...

How about instant Chili?  I don't like it, but I've got too many packages of it to not use it ...

Sorry no photos, kids ate the cornbread too fast.

So here's what I did:

DEHYDRATED CHILI DRESSED DOWN

Put the cast iron pot on the stove & heat it up! When it's hot put in a tablespoon of vegetable oil (I used liquid Crisco) .... Turn the heat to medium now that the pan is hot but the oil is cold - they say it keeps food from sticking this way.

Dice the onion into 3/8 inch pieces, separate the onion into its layers and add it to the oil, tossing it to coat each piece with the hot oil.

Core/seed the bell pepper. {save the innards for your chickens - they love to peck at those seeds amongst the grass) ... Dice the bell pepper into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces, whatever your preference is ... I tried to keep them the same size as the onion.  Add it to the pot and sweat them with the onion, turn the heat to medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.

Then add 6cups of water and one can of tomato sauce

Bring to a boil, then add in the dehydrated chili package

Cook according to package instructions.

OO-- --OO OO-- --OO OO-- --OO OO-- --OO 

MEATY CORNBREAD

I used an online recipe as a start and winged it from there

You will need:

2 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cup water or milk (I used water)
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar (thought of using honey, but thought it might change the taste)

Mix these very well

Then mix in:

1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (don't use soda, you want the double rise)
3/4 - 1 cup cornmeal 
2 cups all-purpose flour

Mix this well ... Small lumps are fine, they will absorb the liquid  - nothing huge, but ones smaller than a pea is fine.

Put the mix in an 8X8 inch pan -- the original recipe called for a 9X13 nah pan but I didn't read the full pattern before I started to mix it in the pan :-)

Mix in the whole kernel corn at this point, folding it in so the corn doesn't stick together.

Now I took 3 left-over hotdogs, sliced them lengthwise into quarters, then sliced them into dices 1/4 inch big.  Stir it into the mix.

I then sprinkled the top of the cornbread with bacon bits ... such as those sold for a salad, that's what I used.

Bake at 400°F for 40 - 45 minutes

XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. 

Okay I made this about 40 minutes before leaving to vote.

I turned the heT off the oven and let the cornbread sit in the residual heat - door shit, do NOT open for 15 minutes so it will finish cooking all the way to the center.

I shut off the chili while we were gone, then boiled it for 20 minutes when we got back.

XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. XX -- -- XX. 

REVIEW:

Well, I have a LOT of chili left-over.  I don't like the taste of the after taste of the spice they use.  I find it has a very chalky/dusty taste.  I should have added a can of diced tomatoes but I didn't have those in the fridge, they're down in the pantry & I didn't want to go get them ... Busy day.

The beans did seem to rehydrate well (better than the last time I made it) ... I wonder if I had used all tomato sauce or tomato juice instead of water of it would have helped it taste less "dusty"

The corn bread was very good ... It was very moist & sweet, just the way my kids like it!

It did not last long enough for me to even get a photo for the page!

It rose very nicely but I'm glad I put a cookie sheet under the pan, at one point it looked like it was going to overflow the edge!

I will likely make this corn bread again.

Maybe add some grated cheese to the flour mixture or sprinkle it on top (my shredded cheese has gone missing ... My Marine has been eating quite a few quesadillas lately)



No comments:

Post a Comment