CHICKEN & RICE ... VERY SLOWLY

 OK - i know I've said this would be just for Crock Pot/Slow cooker recipes ... but every once in a while I've got to slip in some different ways of cooking .., in this case, just a regular oven.

This is actually a great Slow Cooker recipe as well, however I tend to wait until the last 1/2 hour before adding the rice to the pot ... of course I have only used INSTANT rice for this recipe, I'm not sure when you would have to add regular rice to the slow cooker.

This is a LONG cooking recipe - at least 2 hours in the Conventional Oven ... yup, and then the actual time is based on how long it takes the chicken to cook.

CHICKEN & RICE W/VEGGIES

Ingreadients-

3-4 Chicken thighs (although I've done it with as many as 8 in the slow cooker)

1 can veggies - I prefer Peas myself

1 can Cream of Soup, I like Mushroom but any will do

1 1/2 Cups Instant Rice

1 1/2 Cup liquid, includes liquid from veggie can

Spices of your choice (I used Salt, Garlic Powder, Chicken Seasoning)

8 oz Mushrooms

In pan (or slow cooker pot) mix rice with liquid, spread canned veggies on top. top with chicken - skin side DOWN.  Cover, cook at 400F for 1 hour.

During this hour, I soak my fresh mushrooms in cool water twice, draining them every 15 minutes - being careful NOT to allow any loosened dirt to resettle upon the mushrooms.  Then I slice the mushrooms and soak them twice more, again cool water and changing every 15 minutes.

Now pull the chicken out of the pan, mix the veggies with the rice. spread the mushroom slices over the rice and replace the chicken, skin side UP this time ... again spice your meat - I just used a little salt and garlic powder on this side .. spread the soup on top of the chicken.

Add just enough water to the can to get out the last of the soup, if needed you can add a little extra water to keep the rice moist 

Turn the oven to 425F, and return to oven - only TENT the foil on the pan (that is, don't attach the ends to the pan, just the sides - you could also just  place parchment paper over the chicken as well, do not crinkle around pan.  This will allow the chicken to get some lovely color.

If cooking in a slow cooker, if you want color to the chicken - you will have to transfer it to the broiler for a few minutes (I tend not to, why make more dishes)


*photo to come

No comments:

Post a Comment