BEAN SOUP

 SURPRISE!!!  LOOK WHO'S BACK!

I am a firm converter to the Instant Pot ... but you can still do this in a traditional Slow Cooker or even a stove top pressure cooker (although, I only know how to use a stove top pressure canner as a cooker)

But I used my Instant Pot ... but if you aren't, wash, pick over, and soak your beans over night - or do the Quick Cook method on the package.

INGREDIENTS/INSTRUCTIONS
1 cup UNCOOKED Navy or Great Northern Beans, raw (hard)
1 T salt (I prefer Kosher Salt)
Enough water to cover by at least 2 inches (cold water is best)

Pressure cook for 45-1 hour, when done let depressurize naturally (just until the top releases on its own)
Drain thoroughly.

Place pot back in cooker, turn on "Saute" mode and add:
1/4 Cup butter
1 medium onion or 1/2 large onion, diced
1 carrot per person, peeled and diced
1 rib celery per person, sliced 
1-2 cups Cauliflower, cut into small flowerets
2 tsp garlic, minced

Saute until onions are soft but not browned.
Add 1 qt broth (I used chicken broth but beef will work as well)
Ham, diced - I used leftovers from Easter
Pepper, to taste
1 tsp. Powdered Mustard
1 tsp garlic, powder

Place lid on, set to "manual" or "Pressure Cook" , set for 1 hour.

You can eat this right away once it gets done ... but I let it rest for 30 minutes while husband and son did outside work.

This amount fed us for 2 days ... and I still have a little left ... I found it still needed a little salt though, but then I used a NO sodium broth ...

We all had seconds, so it must have been good.
=======================================
WHAT NEEDS CHANGING:
~ I would say, add salt ... I added it when I cooked the beans by themselves, but by the time they finished the second cooking they became pretty bland.
~ I would have also shortened the timie for the second cooking ... some of the beans were a tad too soft for my taste, but then I like a firm bean that easily gives but still holds its shape.
~ The cauliflower disappears into the soup, just kind of disintegrates.
~ The color ... its a pretty yucky biege, not sure if its from the beans or the pepper I used.  Or it can be from the chicken broth as well, I guess.

WHAT I REALLY LIKED:
~ The cauliflower disappears into the broth, this means you will be able to get even more veggies into your kids
~ The beans & cauliflower help to thicken the broth just enough for a "stick to your ribs" supper
~ The taste! I haven't had a really good bean soup since I worked at the deli in college ... this was pretty close!

I have never had a soup that uses powdered mustard before ... I couldn't find mine at the time, so I had omitted it ... but I'm betting it would have added a wonderful kick, and gone well with the ham.

Also, Ham broth ... or cooking it with a ham bone in the final cooking time.

This is on my short list of foods for Opening Weekend at the Resort this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment